Girlguiding has recently changed the First Response requirements, bringing them in line with those of other youth organisations. There is now an eLearning covering Girlguiding procedures and one 6hr First Response training, which is valid for 3 years, before being repeated. Every unit needs a volunteer with a valid First Response training recorded on GO, attending every face to face meeting or event. This change means that Somerset North has to now provide significantly more hours of First Response training each year, which just cannot be delivered by our two dedicated trainers Della and Judy alone. We are going to use an external training company to provide our First Response courses and there will be two approaches to delivering this.
- Evening training – 2 x 2hr online zoom training plus 1 x 2hr face to face practical session
- Weekend training – 6hrs face to face course covering the theory and practical elements
The face to face sessions will be delivered at venues across the county; however these are not permitted at the moment due to Covid-19 restrictions and guidance from Girlguiding. It is recommended that every unit has two volunteers with current First Response training to ensure cover at unit meetings but the immediate priority is to provide training for:
- One volunteer in those units that have no one with valid First Response training
- Some Leaders in Training who are close to completing their LQ and need First Response training to finish it
- Volunteers whose current training runs out during the first half of 2021.